Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Dew Point

Today, for our life science lab, me and my three lab partners followed the rest of the class outside to the flagpole in order to perform "The Weather Lab." Carrying a can, we trudged out into the snow. We were laden down with a pipette, a thermometer, and an icebox, but none of it came close to the crippling weight that went with the freezing ice water splashing onto our hands.

The basic idea was this: stir ice into the can, brush our fingers on the outside, and record the temperature the water was at the time that the water condensed on the outside of the can was evident enough to make us yelp. I was assigned to ice duty, with my black gloves. I was the only one who could bear the cold.

This happens a lot in life. My friend J had to surgically remove her own heart when her love left her hanging by a thread and a classmate by a rope, merely because she would hang on and Ms. Rope Girl didn't know how. L had to do an entire project alone because she was the smartest and could figure out the research process unassisted. And I? I always seem to end up taking everyone else's because I am the one who doesn't know how to say no.

No comments:

Post a Comment