Wednesday, February 6, 2013

How-To #1

How to direct a play: Do note give your actor a script one day when their mom is cleaning out their backpack the very next day. (My supporting actor told me this morning his mom had discarded his copy.) Under no circumstances overpower the costume designer. (The genius designer working on the play became offended quickly when I gave her my vision of a long braid, blazer, and skinny jean for my lead, and I didn't want to interfere with her process.) Don't worry about relying too much on the student teacher; believe me, he is way smarter than you. (If it wasn't for Mr. D, our period of set design would have been wasted arguing with my lead on the location of a green screen.) Whatever you do, do not tell your actors that their ideas don't work. (Much as you want to, don't ruin your relationship over one idea.) Finally, the last piece of advice I can offer: Don't try to talk your best friend into faking a romance. ('Nough said.)

No comments:

Post a Comment