Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Fangirls

"I love to see girls fangirling over gay guys," said the woman standing next to me to her friend. I didn't approve with her take on things; I was not a fangirl, but merely an aspiring triple thread hoping to meet a few successful adults. So, maybe it was true that the second "Newsies" ended I dragged my friend N along behind me toward the exit. I guess you could say that when the area around the barricade began to get crowded my stomach jumped. Still, N pulled through, and we were exactly in the middle of a barricade surrounding a small, closed-off area. The theater managers walked through and closed the doors; a few people more pressed up behind us, but many walked away. For some, seeing the mother of one of the actors/a star of Dance Moms was enough for one night.

Not for me. One after one, the extras spilled out. They signed my program by their name. A few took pictures with us. One pair went at exactly the same speed and both got to my open program at the same time. But I was holding out for the two leads. They didn't come for quite a while, so I accumulated many names, but finally, Katherine poked her head out from the door on the right. Gradually, she edged towards me - I caught my breath - I knew exactly what I was going to say -

"It's my birthday, so yeah," yelled the annoying woman next to me. I had been about to say, 'You're incredible. I hope one day I will be as talented as you. I aspire to be on Broadway.' She beat me to the punch. So Katherine went on and signed my program, but the whole time she was talking to that dyed-blonde-haired, nose-ring-wearing young woman who was acting like a child. I never got a chance to tell her what I meant to, but there wasn't much time for that, because all of a sudden, the male lead appeared on the left. (Not that I could see with Nose Ring's ginormous hair in the way.)

Corey Cott is an exceptional actor, and I urge you to look him up. (I'll put a link to a good picture at the end.) He hasn't been in anything, but that's only because he's fresh out of Carnegie Mellon. I'm not one of those girls who'll fawn over a guy, especially a celebrity, but I must admit, he is very good-looking. More than that, though, he is a phenomenal thespian. His performance of Santa Fe had me nearly in tears. Now he was coming closer - edging towards me - I caught my breath - I knew exactly what I was going to say -

Instead, I blurted, "Could we have a photo with you?"
"Yeah, sure," he said, as though this happened every day (which it did). We turned around and smiled broadly and a flash went off in my face from my mom's camera. I noticed vaguely that his arms were around our shoulder, so before anything got weird, I spun around and held out my Playbill. He obliged, of course, and it wasn't hard to find his name. It was first.

So is there a point to today's blog? Maybe yes, maybe no. I certainly think so. This time, you try to find it, like in real life. Hey, you could learn something, but you certainly don't have to. I won't make you. It's vacation. Here's a hint: For some people, every day is Punday. If that didn't make sense, there's not much I can do for you. Take a picture, hold out your Playbill, and I'll move on.

http://jimhillmedia.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Components-ImageFileViewer/CommunityServer-Blogs-Components-WeblogFiles-00-00-00-01-15/8407.Newsies_5F00_CoreyCott_5F00_2-Photo-by-Lorenzo-Bevilaqua.jpg_2D00_0x400.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment