Monday, March 11, 2013

Not That

At an assembly today, there was a discussion on the topic of affirmative action, and I... spoke my mind. Later revised my opinion, but at the time, spoke my mind. I thought that in a strictly racial context, putting that much emphasis on race was a form of racism in and of itself, so though it wasn't fair that wealthy Caucasians get an easy ride to good education, it also was wrong to tell children in minorities that they cannot succeed by themselves but others can. (New opinion: Affirmative action should be available for those who want it.) Anyway, I said that, the first to speak, and then two more agreed. The third to respond, however, was an African-American teacher whose first words were not "I agree with Chloe." I was hoping she would be able to discuss both sides, but.... As soon as she got the microphone, she stared straight at me.

"I think this conversation is hypocritical." Glaring at me, at me alone. "It's cute." My opinions were valid, and I was not a toddler, and why was she doing this to me? "What people aren't mentioning is that so many of our students get into college because Daddy knows someone." My father supported teachers in court, so who was she to accuse him? "They're not taking something away from you." I didn't say they were. "I think you just want somebody to blame." The next comic in the presentation flashed onto the screen, a snobby white kid who hadn't been accepted to a school yelling at the minority member in the school instead of the others, labeled things like "daughter of alum" and "wealthy donor." "That's all I wanted to say!" Good for you, but I'm not racist.

No comments:

Post a Comment