Monday, March 4, 2013

Someone Like You

There is a trend occurring. It's happened at both auditions I attended last week. It's daring, exciting, and very, very risky for an auditioner, but more than anything it is surprising they would do it in the first place. Here it is: Guys have been singing Adele without changing gender-specific words. Frankly, I'm proud. Tolerance and acceptance are growing, I can feel it, and they are taking advantage of the opportunity. That doesn't keep from cringing when they begin the song, though. It's a song built for a female range, and you can transpose it all you want but you just can't get the same tone quality. Did they do it for bonus points because of standing out? It's likely, and I sincerely hope it pays off for them.

Then again, that is in strict counter-balance with the camp my parents and I met the director of last night. They have a Sadie Hawkins *activity* in which, for a few minutes, BOYS put socks in their back pocket and the GIRLS have to chase them and try to grab a sock. Then the two have to "get married" at a "wedding booth." Cough. Cough. And the director didn't even realize that this was unusual. As my mom said, it was old-fashioned when she was my age, in the early 70s. We asked what gay kids would do, just to stump him. Stump him we did. He told us that they didn't have to participate. Oh come on, really? You've never thought about how awkward this is before? No? Well then, I guess it's good we have both white and black, and good and bad, and Adele and socks in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment