Friday, April 19, 2013

Silently, Not

Today was the National Day of Silence in support of LGBTQ individuals who are silenced in their everyday lives. Although my school greatly supported this plan, even excusing participants from participating in class, one girl in my class - J3, I believe I called her - was very pointed about the idea before it was announced school wide. Several emails were hustled around about the purpose, the means, and the verdict: Yes, I'll be a good person, or no, I'm too lazy. I said the former and did the latter.

That seemed to be everyone's problem today. It's crunch time, like we're all stuck in a room with a bomb in it and we have only a little time left to crack the code to survival, so we can't afford to make another mistake. Not being able to ask questions about the major project in science? Being forced to play a game in Health without making a sound? I gave in. Pathetically.

Today was like a boysenberry. On the outside, they look quaint, docile, and ripe. One bite, and you'll stop eating. Unless someone dies first. So I'm sorry to all those people who will eat the boysenberries of hatred and abuse because I couldn't keep from saying, "Sorry."

2 comments:

  1. I am always amazed by what you write. even though i don't go to your school, even though i've never met you, your efforts (and your actions) described in these posts are inspirational. also, what's this science project? I hope you do well!

    ReplyDelete