Saturday, April 6, 2013

Threads

When I put on the dress I had been saving for months this morning, an indulgent shade of teal and covered in multi-sized sequins, I discovered, unfortunately, that several plastic threads had sprung off the fabric and were curling up into the air. Horrified at the disarray of my self-masterpiece, I hastily grabbed a pair of blue-handled scissors and snipped the unwanted bits into the trash. "Careful," my mom said, "They could be holding all of the other threads on."

That reminded me of the ancient Chinese myth that when you are born, you are connected to a red thread. At the other end is, supposedly, your future spouse and love. Over time, the thread grows shorter and you are drawn closer together until, at last, you collide and become one. Snipping the thread would break the chance of love for you.

Similarly, snipping off unwanted bits in your life for your image or reputation can send everything crumbling... letting go of a friend could spark a chain reaction in your direction, could deter your fate from finding you. I should have let the threads be, and maybe no one would have noticed anyway. So what if they did, anyway? Anyway... anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment